26 Nov 2016

Episode 17 - Chewing it over


Thursday cont.

By four fifteen Cleo and Gary were on their way to see the registrar at the Town Hall. Cleo wondered if Mrs Colby would also want to consult her on some private issue or other and hoped Mrs Colby kept private and business separate. She did not want her weekend to be thwarted by a morose registrar and a promise of worse to come.
“Have you decided on your married name?” Mrs Colby’s asked.
She was not planning to preach as she would to young couples getting married for the first time. It was nice to have a mature couple sitting on the other side of her desk, holding hands and exuding undisguised delight that their marriage was now only two days away.
“I’m going to be Mrs Hurley,” said Cleo, who had not mentioned it to Gary beforehand.
“Are you?” he said. “I was going to be Mr Hartley.”
“No way, Sweetheart. All the kids will be Hurleys and I will use my old name only for business.”
“That sounds sensible,” Mrs Colby judged, looking at Gary, who was astonished. “If children all have the same surname it adds to the feeling of belonging to one family even if there is an element of patchwork about it.”
“The patchwork feeling does not exist, Mrs Colby,” said Cleo. “I plan to adopt my husband’s little girl as soon as possible. Her mother agrees and has already signed the form. And our little girl, PeggySue, who still bears the name of the man I used to be married to, who turned out not to be her father after all, will be changed to Hurley, since Gary is her father.”
”That sounds complicated.”
“It could be, Mrs Colby, until you know that my ex-husband could not be the father for medical reasons, but had not told me.”
“That would have been enough reason for an annulment, Miss Hartley.”
“I decided not to go down that road, Mrs Colby. My ex-husband is a nice guy, if misguided, and that would have been humiliating for him.”
“Very considerate of you after his deception,” said Mrs Colby.
“I was unfaithful with this guy here all the time.”
“Ouch. I put my foot in it. I don’t usually do that. Stupid of me not to put two and two together.”
“It’s all straightened out now, and when we all share one name as a family we need never look back.”
“Do you have any questions before we discuss the ceremony itself?” said Mrs Colby.
“I can’t think if any,” said Gary.
“Neither can I,” Cleo agreed.
***
Half an hour later the order of ceremonies had been finalized down to the last detail and the happy couple was on its way back to HQ. Despite her happiness about their marriage Cleo was eager to hear from Gary what had transpired that morning.
Gary had not quite detached himself from being on cloud nine.
“I appreciate what you are doing for me, taking my name,” he said as they took the lift to his office.
“What am I doing for you that is not also for me and the kids?” Cleo said.
“All the same, taking my name is a wonderful gesture, Miss Hartley.”
“I love you, Mr Hurley, and I want us to be labelled as belonging together.”
“We are together.”
“Not officially.”
“It doesn’t get much more official than bed, table and a car full of kids, but I’m over the moon that our marriage means that the twins will get their proper surname directly, without legal hassle.”
“They would have been Hartleys. Is that so bad?”
“No they wouldn’t,” said Gary. “You did not take back your maiden name, my love.”
“I never took the name Jones, Gary. I only called myself Jones when the circumstances seemed to warrant it.”
“That’s a relief. Let’s cut HQ and go to Romano’s,” said Gary and Cleo raised her eyebrows.
“Not for what you are thinking, though that guestroom has been a godsend in times past,” said Gary. “We should check on what Romano is planning for Saturday.”
“Tell me all about Mrs Spencer later then, Gary. I assume she’s under arrest.”
“Yes. Possibly for two murders.”
“Two?”
“But maybe only for one,” said Gary.” or three, or more.”
“You’ve lost me,” said Cleo.
“I’ve lost myself, Cleo. I need to do some brainstorming and I need Dorothy to be there and Roger if he has time.”
“We could organize something for Sunday evening. Our honeymoon will be over by then.”
“I don’t need a day’s honeymoon, Cleo. My whole life is a honeymoon these days.”
“I agree, but is Sunday evening soon enough?”
“For what?”
“That brainstorming.”
“I thought you meant …”
“Well, if thoughts are things …”
***
As usual, Romano greeted them with big hugs.
“Where is Gloria?” he wanted to know.
“Baby-sitting,” said Gary. “We’ll release her as soon as we get home, Romano. I’ll drive her here.”
“No. I’ll collect her as arranged. Angelo can take charge here for an hour.”
Angelo was second in command at Romano’s restaurant and suspected to be Nigel’s new beau. Cleo wondered how long he would retain his commanding position once Gloria moved in.
“You are serious about my mother, aren’t you, Romano.”
“I am a man of honour, Cleo. I will make your mother a happy woman.”
“That’s all right then, but she needs a strong hand, Romano,” said Gary. “She’s self-willed and obstinate.”
“She has fire, Gary. She warms everyone’s heart here, even Angelo’s.”
Cleo and Gary were amazed. Romano really was smitten.
***
Details of the reception that Romano was organizing were soon perfect. Cleo and Gary left for Upper Grumpsfield confident that it was going to be a great event. Gary wondered if the wonderful Italian friend Nigel had made really was Angelo. No denying it, Nigel had excellent taste. Angelo was one of those guys on whom Italian painters modelled their angels.
Reading into Gary’s thoughts, Cleo said “Angelo is quite an Adonis, isn’t he?”
“I was thinking along those lines.”
“We’ll see how Nigel reacts to Angelo on Saturday, Gary. He’ll be serving the champagne.”
“I’m not sure I should let you have my car, after all,” said Gary, his eye fixed on the rush-hour traffic. “You seem to be looking out for a future candidate.”
“I don’t need a hermaphrodite lover and I don’t want this bus on a regular basis,” said Cleo. “Let’s compromise. Whoever has the kids has this tank of a car.”
“That’s what I hoped you’d say.”
***
Back home, the logistics of Gloria’s romantic involvement would have to be discussed.
“Grit is staying over from Friday,” said Gary, rather to Gloria’s surprise, since she was still dithering a bit about moving in permanently with Romano, although she had not given her daughter and almost-son-in-law that impression. “My mother will move into the flat when you have moved out, Gloria,“ Gary added.
There was no mistaking the tone of Gary’s voice. Gloria decided that any indecision had to be cast aside.
“I have left already to all intents and purposes,” she said, looking a bit coy. “I’m starting work with Romano on April the first.“
“Do you mean what I think you mean, Mother?” said Cleo.
“I won’t wait at tables. I’ll be the hostess. Welcome the guests,” said Gloria.  “Be a real Italian Mamma.”
“Cleo is really asking you if you are having some of your hanky-panky with Romano, Gloria,” said Gary, barely stifling his amusement.
“Well…not quite.”
“Don’t worry, Gloria. We’re delighted,” said Gary. “My mother will help out with the children.”
“You have our love and best wishes for a happy new life,” said Cleo.
Gary wanted Gloria to spell out where she was going to live permanently, so he asked her point blank.
“With Romano. I never thought I would meet anyone again, and now, after forty years, I hope that’s all right with you guys.”
“That’s actually what we were hoping, Gloria,” said Gary.
“You were? He’s such a nice guy.”
“And you are still a desirable woman,” said Gary.
***
Cleo went into the kitchen and put the espresso machine on. She needed a moment to enjoy for herself the idea that someone else would be responsible for her mother and hoped that Romano was up to the challenge.
“I’m glad you approve, Gary,” said Gloria.
“Of course I approve, Gloria. I’ll give you away when the time comes.”
“It will come sooner than you think,” said Gloria, glad to able to talk about what was occupying her thoughts most.
“Will it?” said Gary. He was surprised at the speed at which Gloria was moving things along.
“Romano proposed this morning before I came here and is waiting for an answer.”
“You must tell Cleo. She has a right to know, Gloria.”
“I hadn’t quite decided.”
“But you have now, I take it,” said Gary.
“Yes. I can’t think of a reason not to go ahead. You tell her, Gary.”
“I will, Gloria, if that’s what you want. If you are happy, we certainly will be.”
“I am happy, and don’t forget that your flat will be free again. I know Grit will enjoy living there.”
“But that’s not a reason for you to move out, Gloria, is it?”
“No. It isn’t.”
“And not the reason you are going to marry Romano?”
“No,” said Gloria.
Cleo came in a minute later with a tray of coffee mugs.
“I didn’t ask if you wanted latté, so here it is,” she said. “I’ll just go and get PeggySue. She should be getting tired playing rather than sleeping the day away.”
***
When Romano had collected Gloria, Gary rang his mother to tell her that she could soon move into his flat in Middlethumpton.
“Not with Gloria,” said Grit. “I value my sanity, Gareth.”
“Of course not with Gloria. She is moving in with the owner of that Italian restaurant and everyone calls me Gary.”
“She is? That’s all right then, Gary.”
“You don’t sound surprised, Mother.”
“Gloria dropped so many hints that I was sure she was masterminding something.”
“She was, but her speed has taken us completely by surprise,” said Gary. “If you could stay with us for a few days after the wedding and help with the children, that would be great, Mother. By then, Gloria should have moved all her stuff out of my flat.”
“I’ll do it,” said Grit. “I’ve started packing and have someone for this apartment as soon as I can move out.”
“I should think Gloria has already finished sleeping in my flat, if I understood her correctly. It’s furnished mostly with my things, Mother. You can choose what you want to keep and dispose of the rest.”
“What about your own building operations, Gareth?”
“Finished tomorrow lunchtime, and please call me Gary. When you’ve met the local Gareth you’ll understand why.”
“Sorry. Slip of the tongue. I’ll be with you tomorrow and get my things moved next week.”
“They can go in the garage belonging to my flat while you sort out how you want the flat to look.”
“Don’t you need your property, Gary? I could buy it from you.”
“We can talk about that later. There’s no room here for even more furnishings, but I’d like that little antique writing bureau. I could put it in a new corner we’ll have in our bedroom. Thank you for deciding to come, Mother.”
“My pleasure, Gary. You are definitely my favourite son.”
“Do you have others?”
“Would I hide them?” said Grit enigmatically.
Grit rang off.
***
”I take it you are her only son, Gary,” said Cleo.
“That’s a good question. My mother hasn’t told me about any others.”
“Talk about happy endings,” said Cleo. “I don’t know what I’d do without at least one grandmother.”
***
“Let’s eat and then talk business,” said Gary, changing the subject because he could not let the evening go by without discussing the morning’s events with Cleo. “How about calling Dorothy and having the brainstorming tonight?”
“OK if you think it will be useful,” said Cleo. “What about Roger?”
“Another time, Cleo. I’m a bit worried about cases he closed before I started working for homicide. Colin suggested some strange goings on.”
“I can’t believe that Roger wold lend himself to strange goings-on.”
“Perhaps he just turned a blind eye, Cleo.”
“Is that worth getting worked up about?”
“I’m not sure.”
***
Dorothy was delighted to be asked.
“Is Roger coming?” she wanted to know. The speaker was on so Gary answered.
“No. Dorothy. This is improvised.”
“Next time, then. I’ll be with you in an hour,” promised Dorothy.
“Have you eaten?”
“Ages ago.”
“I’ll save you some ice-cream, shall I?” said Cleo knowing how much Dorothy loved home-made ice-cream.
“Please. If you wait till I get to the cottage, we can have the ice-cream with the apple pie I’ve just made,” said Dorothy.
“We’ll wait!” said Gary.
***
Charlie arrived home after doing her homework with Helen at Helen’s house.
“Someone has to help her, Daddy,” she said.
“Can you fetch PeggySue to the table, Charlie,” Cleo asked.
Presently Charlie came in carrying a very sleepy little girl.
“Did you give her K.O. drops, Daddy?”
“What did you say?”
“K.O. drops. The radio was on and someone said that. What are they?”
“K.O. drops are like sleeping pills but they are much stronger and very dangerous,” said Cleo. “Never touch them, Charlie.”
“I won’t, Mummy. The man on the radio was dead, Daddy.”
 “Why were you listening to the radio, Charlie?”
“I wasn’t really listening, but it was on.”
“And you were trying to do your homework?”
“Yes. Helen is not very good at school, Daddy.”
“No wonder, with the radio blaring away during homework time. You’d better bring Helen here in future.”
“I agree,” said Cleo. “Someone is always here. From tomorrow it will be your other grandmother, Charlie.”
Charlie was all smiles. She loved being with Grit even more than with Gloria.
“Dorothy is coming to have a meeting with us, Charlie,” said Cleo. “She’s bringing apple-pie to eat with the ice-cream. After that it would be a good idea for you two girls to go to bed and get some sleep. Do you agree?”
“Yes, Mummy.”
As it transpired, PeggySue was fed first and got ready for bed by Gary, who tried singing to her, but soon decided that her CD of nursery songs was more effective. Charlie helped Cleo to get the table ready for dinner.
“School tomorrow, young lady.” said Gary, pointing unmistakeably towards the children’s room.
“Not before supper,” said Charlie. “You can’t let me go to bed hungry.”
“I wouldn’t dream of it. Food then bed. School is important.”
“And the Spiritual Revue, Daddy,” said Charlie. “We have an extra rehearsal tomorrow. The whole school choir is going to sing. We’ve been invited.”
“How long have you known, Charlie?”
“Since choir rehearsal on Monday.”
Presumably Mr Defoe had invited the choir before he was thrown out.
“I wonder if Dorothy knows about the choir taking part,” said Cleo. “She has been at cross-purposes with Mr Defoe ever since the rehearsals started.”
“What are cross-purposes, Mummy?”
“That’s when people don’t agree and want to do different things, Charlie,” said Gary.
“Like Robin Hood and the Sheriff of Nottingham, Daddy?”
“Yes. Just like that, Sweetheart,” Gary said.
To Cleo he said “Maybe Dorothy doesn’t know about the children performing. If that nutty stage director organized it, she wouldn’t. He went his own sweet way. He was unpleasant to everyone and presumably secretive into the bargain.”
“We’ll ask her,” said Cleo. “If she doesn’t know, she’ll be furious.”
“But she should welcome the choir, Cleo.”
“She will, but she will be cross that she did think of it first.”
***
Dorothy’s timing was perfect. She watched the family eat their spaghetti, which she would have shared had she not already eaten, she explained. They all enjoyed their ice-cream and pie so much that it was all eaten up and Dorothy promised to bake another very soon.
Once Charlie was safely tucked up in bed, it was high time to get on with the meeting.
***
Cleo started off by announcing that Frank Wetherby had sent in a promising report about Harry Palmer and referred briefly to the doorman, a nasty-looking character named Pooth, who seemed to be well-informed.
Gary topped that information with some of his own.
“That doorman Pooth has a criminal record as long as your arm. I’m surprised that Frank got away unscathed,” said Gary, uneasy about Wetherby getting into the books of the local mafia, but also eager to get on with his own information. However, Cleo got in first again.
“Mrs Miller told Frank about that dreadful tower block in Beethoven Street,” said Cleo.
“Who is Mrs Miller?” Gary asked.
“You know her, Gary.”
“Not by name. I don’t know all the women in Middlethumpton by name.”
“That’s a comfort. She’s the woman who runs the kiosk at the take-away pizzeria. Frank financed her breakfast in return for information.”
“I’ll foot that bill,” said Gary, “though the homicide squad would have got there eventually.”
“Frank got in there first mainly because Mrs Miller took a liking to him. But I understand he has a date with the bakery assistant after visiting that bakery.”
“He’s a fast worker.”
“And the girl’s information could be useful. Frank shows that he can act independently and according to the lie of the land.”
“Let’s hope he doesn’t break any laws,” said Gary. “I don’t think he should be dating anyone involved in a case.”
“She served the breakfast. She is not involved.”
“We don’t know that for sure, but on to Ali Lewis, please. Have you formed an opinion about his killing?” said Gary, anxious to hear what the Ladies had to say before he said anything about Mrs Spencer.
“We need background information that Frank will supply when he has had a bit more time, assuming you are not about to reveal any,” said Cleo, a bit peaked that Gary was trying to take the wind out of her sails.
“Do you think Mr Lewis was mixed up in drugs?” she said. “Everyone else seems to be.”
“The drugs squad is too slow on the uptake. That bothers me, but I can’t really interfere in their work if I don’t want them interfering in mine.”
“I thought you were all buddies,” said Cleo, who knew better after comments Gary had made in the past, but could not resist the taunt.
All this time, Dorothy had been listening without adding anything to the think-tank.
“Buddies?”
“Yes, Dorothy. When someone gets a better idea how to approach a problem it generally incites a free for all. Officers lower down the ranks want promotion. Senior officers often try to block that.”
“Does that include you, Gary?” Dorothy asked.
“In the past it did, I’m sorry to say,” said Gary.
“So what have you been up to now, that make you need a brain-storming?” Dorothy asked, giving Gary a chance to skip the guilt thing and change the topic to the one that was most urgent that day.
***
“I’ve arrested Mrs Vivienne Spencer,” he said.
“Wow,” said Cleo.
“On what charge?” Dorothy asked.
“Murder.”
“Of Ali?”
“I don’t think so.”
“But you’ll find out,” said Dorothy.
“At the moment she has only half confessed to the murder of her predecessor in marriage, Dorothy.”
“As if that were not enough!” said Dorothy.
“You remember Charlie talking about K.O. tablets, Cleo?”
“Sure.”
“I believe that Mrs Spencer was responsible for that item of news. She went to the Majestic Hotel with a man last night. She drugged him, smothered him, and robbed him. We will find enough evidence of her guilt and she has been arrested on that count ahead of any other suspicion. She is being held at HQ and the Spencer house is being searched.”
“Cleo has said more than once that someone who has got away with one murder will find murder a solution next time round,” said Dorothy.
“There are a number of similar hotel murders that have remained unsolved,“ said Gary. “I haven’t had time to study any files, but I think Mrs Spencer got around a lot, was hired by gents with flashy cars and fat wallets, went through her deadly routine and got away unseen a number of times. All those cases will have to be reviewed and she may have a hamper full of evidence at home.”
“What about Ali? Could Mrs Spencer have had a motive for that killing?” said Dorothy.
“We are still wondering if Polly could be a killer,” said Gary. “She went back to the crypt from our cottage at dead of night. I located her through her father’s mobile phone.”
“I think she’s less afraid of the dark than of her step-mother,” mused Cleo.
“I believe that now, too. Cleo,” said Gary. “I had a patrol team pick her up at the crypt and she is now at HQ”
“And Mr Spencer?”
“Cleared of Ali’s murder, Dorothy.”
“Leaving Mrs Spencer to carry the can if Polly is innocent,” said Cleo.
That’s what is troubling me,” said Gary. “Just before I had her locked up, she said Molly had been to the crypt after her.”
“Oh Boy, is this case stressful.”
“Are you OK, Cleo? Shall we stop now?”
“I’ll be fine, Gary. Carry on, please.”
“So Mrs Spencer admitted going to the crypt,” said Dorothy, “But not to killing Ali.”
“That’s right, Dorothy,” said Gary. “And we will have to find out if she was trying to allay suspicion or telling me something I should follow up.”
“I’m surprised that Mrs Spencer did not try to put suspicion on Polly.” said Dorothy.
“I’m not sure I would be surprised at anything Vivienne Spencer did,” said Gary.
“So let’s sum up the motives, shall we?” said Dorothy, getting out her notebook and a biro. “After all, that’s what this meeting is all about.”
***
Dorothy proceeded to line up the motives. Any one of them would have fitted-
a)       Molly Moss killed Ali because he was unfaithful to her,
b)       Vivienne Spencer killed Ali because he was blackmailing her,
c)       Polly killed Ali because he was having an affair with her step-mother.
“How do you know that, Dorothy?” Gary asked.
“Which?”
“That Mrs Spencer was being blackmailed by Ali,” said Gary, “or that Mrs Spencer was carrying on with Ali.”
“Flora Snow told me about some of Ali’s antics. She dropped one or two hints and I put two and two together,” said Dorothy.
“Miss Snow being the oracle of Huddlecourt Minor, I take it,” said Gary, who had the feeling that he was swimming in muddy water infested by harpies, the harpies being Ali’s three women. There could have been more, of course. Ali Lewis seemed to have been a tireless beau.
“If I was having an affair with a guy and had a rival, I would kill the rival not the guy,” said Cleo.
“Wouldn’t that count Polly out as a suspect alongside the other two we know of?” said Dorothy.
“Murder could be a normal reaction for any one of them,” argued Cleo.
“Since when is murder normal, Ladies?” said Gary.
“Molly could have thought ‘If I can’t have him, nobody else will, and certainly not a barmaid working for me’.”
“It is rather awful, isn’t it?” said Dorothy. “I feel sorry for Molly.”
“You might not when we’ve found out why Mrs Spencer was prepared to admit going to the crypt, since she had to admit going there to say that Molly had gone there after her. But she slipped up. She was actually making herself suspicious just by admitting that she went there.”
“But what if she did see Molly, Gary?” said Cleo. “She may not be lying.”
“There are too many ‘what ifs’ in this case,” said Gary.
“They emphasize what I think could be the true solution,” said Dorothy. “Mrs Spencer had the most to lose.”
 “Why are you so insistent on the step-mother, Dorothy?” said Gary.
“Mrs Spencer had found someone fairly innocuous to marry her – not easy as a prostitute – and she did not want her double life to be made public.”
“That’s plausible, I suppose,” said Gary. “I’m sure you Ladies have a better chance of getting inside what motivated one of our female suspects.”
“I don’t think there can be any other suspects except those three women,” said Dorothy. “It was clearly a domestic affair.”
“I agree. It would be a domestic affair, whichever of our women actually killed Mr Lewis,” said Gary. “But what about Mr Spencer? He also has a strong motive.”
“I thought you said he was innocent,” said Cleo.
“We can’t keep people endlessly in custody unless we have something to go on,” said Gary, “and he doesn’t seem like a killer.”
“Rubbish. We are all killers,” said Dorothy. “Most of us just kill someone in our thoughts and refrain from acting it out.”
“Wow, Dorothy. That is lugubrious,” said Cleo.
“If the cap fits…”
There was silence at the table.
***
“Why don’t we each make a list of people we would like to have wiped out?” said Dorothy.
“Not tonight, Dorothy,” said Gary. “That’s a parlour game and won’t solve any of our crimes. Let’s just carry on with what we are doing, please.”
“OK, but first tell us about that second murder Mrs Spencer might have committed,” said Cleo.
“That was probably what Charlie heard on the radio. If Ali was the first victim, the second would be that guy named Fullerton who was smothered and robbed at the Majestic Hotel. A thorough search will be carried out at the Spencer house before any of them go home. I can’t understand why I haven’t already heard from forensics or Greg.”
“I thought you had already released Mr Spencer.”
“I’ll have to un-release him,” said Gary and phoned HQ to see if he had already left. He had insisted on a full English breakfast and was still at HQ. His departure was to be delayed because of some administrative problem or other, Gary instructed.
***
The telephone rang as soon as Gary had hung up. Chris delivered his report tersely. He would send the full findings through on-line. Forensics had been to the Spencer residence with patrol officers. They had found Fullerton’s wallet containing a whole wad of banknotes and various documents. The guy had been worth robbing, Chris commented.
“That settles it” said Gary. “Mrs Spencer went to the hotel with a man, gave him K.O. drops, smothered him with a pillow, robbed him and left. Exactly as I thought.”
The speakers had been switched on. Dorothy now spoke directly to Chris.
 “I expect you’ll find wigs and other disguises, and then you can clear up some of the other murders. Some of the pages or night porters might have noticed someone. You never know.”
“Dorothy, that’s a brilliant idea,” said Chris.
“Better get the place searched again, Chris,” said Gary.
“I wish I’d thought of that first,” said Chris.”
“So do I Chris,” said Gary. “I have a couple of witches here to do the thinking for us.”
Gary phoned HQ again and gave instructions to the officers on duty to hold all the Spencers.
***
“All that does not solve the Ali Murder,” said Dorothy.
“I don’t care which murder we solve first, as long as we solve something,” said Gary.
“I still think it was Mrs Spencer, though I confess to being irritated by what she said about Molly. Why else would that knife be in the Spencer kitchen? Who could have put it there if not Polly or her step-mother?” said Dorothy.
“I think we should rule Polly out,” said Cleo. “Why would she bring a knife to you that she had used to kill her lover? But it might be a good idea to ask Molly why Mrs Spencer was virtually blaming her for the murder.”
“I’d have another go at Mrs Spencer,“ said Dorothy. “I’d tell her she will get off lighter if she confesses.”
“That would be dishonest,” said Gary.
“I did not hear that remark,” said Dorothy.


No comments: